Ranch settlement in the Carbon district began in the late 1800’s. At the time, coal mines were already operating in the region, and they continued to operate until the late 1950’s. The name Carbon was suggested by L.D. Elliot, an area rancher, and was adopted for the new post office opened on October 1, 1904. The Village was incorporated in 1912.
Carbon is home of the 1921 Carbon Murder Mystery, one of the oldest unsolved murders in Canadian history! Murder Mysteries
For more information on the history of Carbon, visit The Farmers’ Exchange, featuring: Museum, Gift Gallery and Garden